John Adolph is a member of Winstead’s Real Estate Development & Investments Practice Group. John represents both lenders and borrowers in a variety of financing structures, including real estate loans, asset-based lending, mezzanine financings, and syndicated credit facilities. Additionally, he works with public and private businesses on general corporate and transactional issues, including entity formation and mergers and acquisitions.
John represents financial institutions, non-traditional lenders, developers, and investors in connection with (i) commercial real estate loans for office, retail, healthcare and residential developments as well as energy projects, telecom assets, and manufacturing properties; (ii) asset-based lending for various operating businesses, including cash-flow and asset-based financings; and (iii) loan workouts, including forbearance agreements, loan assumptions, foreclosures, and all phases of post-foreclosure property management. He also represents startups and emerging and established businesses, investors, and entrepreneurs with company formations, financings, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, vendor agreements, and technology transactions.
- Represented lenders in connection with construction and acquisition loans secured by projects throughout the country, including Texas, Florida, California, New York, and Louisiana
- Counseled regional banks in offering working capital lines of credit to numerous operating companies in the industrial, manufacturing, and energy sectors
- Represented lead agent and managed team of attorneys in qualifying pool of 200+ real estate assets for inclusion in borrowing base; properties included telecom, advertising, and alternative energy assets in the United States and Australia
- Represented a federal savings bank as warehouse lender, administrative agent, sole bookrunner, and lead arranger in $151 million syndicated master repurchase of mortgage assets
- Served as local counsel for hotel developer and led negotiation of credit agreement with private equity real estate fund in construction of $305 million luxury hotel project in downtown Austin, Texas
- Structured preferred equity investments for REIT subsidiaries in hospitality and multi-family construction transactions
- Served as external general counsel for construction company during private equity firm’s turnaround efforts, negotiating lease renewals, terminations, and contractor settlements as well as assisting with litigation and bankruptcy strategy
- Counseled privately owned transportation firm in acquisition of black-car dispatch and logistics company, addressing issues ranging from intellectual property to mobile apps
- Reorganized commercial real estate company, streamlining organizational structure in connection with mergers of subsidiaries and the family office’s estate planning efforts
Workouts and Restructuring
- Represent lenders in connection with the foreclosure of real estate, mineral estates, and personal property
- Work with developers and renders in resolving troubled real estate development projects, including office, retail, hospitality, and resort properties
- Advise clients in all phases of post-foreclosure property ownership, including execution of leases, management of REO, clearing of clouds on title, and negotiation of conveyance documents