Jeff Matthews provides real estate investors, developers, bankers, builders, mortgage lenders and financiers with thoughtful, forward-thinking counsel to help them navigate and succeed in today’s ever changing and complex real estate environment. From sophisticated real estate transactions, including mixed-use and condominium developments, to joint ventures, multifamily developments and portfolio transactions, Jeff tailors his approach to each file by listening to his clients and developing a strategy that meets their business and legal objectives.
Clients trust Jeff’s experience, depth of real estate industry knowledge, and creativity to help them anticipate challenges and seize opportunities. By working in concert with his corporate, tax, finance, M&A, ERISA, labor & employment, and litigation colleagues, Jeff helps leverage the full resources of Winstead to meet each client’s needs.
A respected leader within the firm, in addition to his practice, Jeff is the Chairman & CEO of Winstead.
Jeff is a Texas native who makes Dallas his home. He and his wife are parents to two children and in what little spare time Jeff has, he is actively involved with The University of Texas McCombs School of Business and Law School and the Salesmanship Club of Dallas.
Real Estate Development
- Represent a publicly traded financial institution with its development of a 1.2 million sq. ft. office
- Represent a student housing development company in connection with its development of properties in locations throughout the country
- Represent a multi-family developer in high-rise developments in Texas, Arizona, Georgia and California
- Represent various developers in the development of mixed-use projects throughout Texas
- Represent various condominium developers in the development, construction and rehabilitation of projects in Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio and Galveston
- Represent client in connection with the development of the largest condominium project West of the Mississippi River
Real Estate Lending
- Represent lender in connection with its permanent loan program for various office investors
- Represent a lender in connection with the construction of multi-family projects throughout the country, including New York, San Francisco, Nashville, Dallas and Austin
- Represent lenders in connection with development loans for healthcare facilities, including medical office buildings and senior living facilities
- Represent lenders in connection with mezzanine loans and loans secured by the borrower's interest in promissory notes
- Represent investors in distressed debt in the acquisition of notes secured by highly sought after real estate
Real Estate Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Represent investors in the acquisition and financing of core, core plus and value add real estate investments in multi-family projects, office and retail
- Represent investor in the acquisition of high-end resorts located throughout the country
- Negotiation of joint venture agreements for equity investors in numerous types of real estate acquisitions
Workouts and Restructuring
- Represent lenders in connection with restructuring troubled loans for the development of residential lots
- Represent lender in connection with restructuring a loan for the development of retail space
- Represent lenders in connection with the foreclosure of real and personal property
- Represent lender in the negotiation of a multi-party intercreditor agreement relating in connection with a recapitalization of a multi-family project
- Represent numerous lenders in resolving deficient and problematic property agreements, such as CCRs, relating to foreclosed upon property
- Represent lenders in the disposition of foreclosed upon property
- Represent developers in resolving troubled real estate development projects