Consultant; Not admitted to practice law
Fred Swanevelt is the firm's first airline industry consultant in the Corporate, Commercial Transactions & Outsourcing Practice Group, focusing primarily on assisting our clients in Aircraft Programs matters including capacity procurement, financing, and aircraft disposition.
Fred has more than two decades of experience in the airlines industry, which includes more than a decade of direct involvement with the negotiation and management of OEM purchase agreements, leases, and aircraft sales for a fleet of over 1,400 aircraft.
- Advised a global airline in its lease financing arrangements covering 9 new Airbus A321NEO and 18 new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft with two international lessors
- Managed in the last five years at major US airline, over 400 new and used aircraft deliveries, nearly 100 lease returns and sale of nearly 300 aircraft
- Negotiated nearly $20B in sale/leaseback financing agreements for 787-8s, 777s, 737s and A320s
- Including approximately $13B of committed financing provided by the manufacturers for the then-largest aircraft order in aviation history, the acquisition of 460 narrowbody, single-aisle aircraft from Boeing and Airbus, with options for an additional 465 aircraft
- Negotiated new OEM Aircraft Fleet Purchase Agreements for mainline and regional jet aircraft
- Agreements with Boeing to purchase 42 787s
- Agreements with Bombardier to purchase 30 CRJ900 regional jets with options to purchase up to 40 more
- Agreements with Embraer to purchase 60 ERJ175 regional jets with options to purchase up to 90 more
- Managed the challenges of several “firsts”, including leasing out RJs owned by major US airline for operation by 3rd parties on its behalf, and the leasing-in of used mainline aircraft
- Establishing lease-in facilities, including pre-delivery configuration and maintenance agreements, for numerous vintage A319 aircraft from two international lessors
- Leases of a number of vintage Embraer regional jet aircraft to Trans States Airlines, LLC in connection with a capacity purchase agreement
- Leases of a number of vintage Embraer regional jet aircraft to ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. in connection with a capacity purchase agreement
- Leases of 20 new E175 regional jet aircraft to Compass Airlines, LLC, in connection with a capacity purchase agreement
- Restructured, concurrently, the terms of over 150 aircraft leases during major US airline's Chapter 11 proceedings
- Led multi-departmental A350 / B787 OEM competition to select major US airline's next-generation widebody
* Names that appear with an asterisk indicate a Winstead professional not admitted to practice law.