Environmental Water Law
Private property rights in both surface and groundwater resources is a rapidly evolving area of law in Texas. Our water law practitioners have significant experience in navigating through the dense thicket of state and federal common law, statutory enactments and administrative rulings.
Winstead is experienced in water law issues ranging from water rights to the public financing of water transportation infrastructure and private-public joint ventures. Winstead’s attorneys also handle contracts involving the purchase and sale of water and water rights.
Whether we are involved in obtaining and amending surface or groundwater rights, or advocating our clients’ interests before the legislature, the TCEQ or the Texas Water Development Board, we create a positive impact on our clients’ overall business strategy.
Our services for individual, governmental, corporate, industrial, commercial and agricultural interests involved in, or affected by, the water resource include:
- Obtaining and amending water rights for the appropriation and use of surface water
- Where groundwater conservation districts exist, obtaining permits and amendments to permits for use of groundwater
- Negotiating contracts for the purchase and sale of water and water rights, both surface and groundwater
- Legislative and agency advocacy and monitoring
- Securing certificates of convenience and necessity for retail water suppliers