Shareholder; Member of Board of Directors
Mike's areas of practice involve a wide variety of commercial real estate transactions, including the acquisition and disposition of investment-grade property, commercial development, office and retail leasing and a broad range of financing transactions. Mike Alessio has been a member of Winstead's real estate development and investment practice since 1995.
Mike has served as a member of Winstead's Board of Directors and is a member of the firm's Legal Opinion Committee. Mike was formerly the chairman of the firm's law school hiring program and Recruiting Committee.
- Acquisitions and Dispositions: Multi-site and multi-jurisdictional portfolio acquisitions and the related debt and equity structuring on behalf of pension plans, REIT's, private equity funds, educational foundations and other long-term public and private equity investors and funds
- Joint Venture Investments: Represents private equity firms, pension funds, educational foundations and fund advisors in the structuring, negotiation and administration of multi-party joint ventures for all stages of the life cycle of a real estate investment
- Debt Acquisition: Represents institutional and entrepreneurial investors in the purchase and restructuring of senior and junior debt facilities, distressed debt and distressed real estate assets, and the process and strategy of gaining control of distressed real estate
- Development: Represents developers and investors in all stages of the development of retail centers, multi-family projects, industrial facilities, hotel and resort projects, and office build-to-suit and speculative projects
- Finance: Represents a wide variety of institutional lenders, life companies and banks in connection with debt and equity transactions, permanent and construction financing, mezzanine financing, and preferred equity transactions
- Leasing: Negotiates office, retail and industrial leases and subleases and retail development ground leases, with significant experience in restaurant leasing representing the tenant's side
Recent Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Acquisition of a distressed $45,000,000 senior debt facility secured by a mixed-use project in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Acquisition of a distressed $25,000,000 senior note secured by a mixed-use project in Los Angeles, California.
- Acquisition of a distressed $22,000,000 senior note secured by a student housing project in the Midwest.
- Acquisition of non-controlling interest in an FDIC mixed debt portfolio.
- Acquisition of a $98,000,000 office building in Manhattan on behalf of a private equity fund.
- Acquisition of a $105,000,000 office building in Manhattan on behalf of a private equity fund.
- Acquisition and continued development of a $65,000,000 retail center in Conroe, Texas.
- Acquisition of a $150,000,000 shopping center in Fremont, California on behalf of a private equity fund.
- Acquisition of 19 multifamily properties totaling more than $500,000,000 on behalf of a private equity fund.
- Acquisition of a $47,000,000 mixed use project in downtown Los Angeles.
- Multistaged acquisition of a $240,000,000 multifamily portfolio with sites located in 7 states on behalf of a major pension fund advisor.
- Acquisition and financing of a $90,000,000 multistate retail portfolio on behalf of a national real estate company.
- Acquisition and financing of a 72-site $47,000,000 retail groundlease portfolio on behalf of a national real estate company.
- Acquisition and financing of a $50,000,000 multistate retail portfolio on behalf of a national real estate company.
- Acquisition of a 9-site hotel portfolio operated under an international franchise flag on behalf of a pension fund.
- Acquisition of a 6-site hotel portfolio operated under four different international franchise flags on behalf of a pension fund.
- Acquisition of a $37,000,000 mixed-use facility in downtown Phoenix, Arizona on behalf of a REIT.
- Acquisition and redevelopment of a casualty-distressed office tower located in downtown Fort Worth, Texas.
- Acquisition of Fountain Place, a $90,000,000 60-story office building located in Dallas, Texas on behalf of a public REIT.
- Acquisition of a class A $32,000,000 office park located in San Diego, California on behalf of a public REIT.
- Acquisition of a class A $65,000,000 office building located in Miami, Florida on behalf of a major pension fund advisor.
- Acquisition of the Village at Breckenridge ski resort located in Breckenridge, Colorado on behalf of a public hospitality company.
- Recapitalization and redevelopment of a prominent "town square" style mixed use project located in North Texas.
Recent Development Transactions
- Acquisition, development and construction of a 1.4 million square foot office project in Washington, D.C. (in the NOMA District).
- Redevelopment of the Town & Country Mall in Houston, Texas.
- Development of a mixed-use island community in South Texas.
- Construction and development of a $56,000,000 mixed use project in downtown Fairfax, Virginia on behalf of a private equity fund.
- Construction and development of a 325-unit luxury apartment project in Irvine, California on behalf of a private equity fund.
- Development of 10 assisted care facilities in Texas on behalf of a developer.
- Acquisition and development of the corporate campus for a public retail company in North Texas.
- National development work on behalf of an international restaurant company.
- Construction and development of two luxury apartment communities in Tampa, Florida on behalf of a public real estate company and the related pre-sale to a major pension fund advisor.
- Construction, development, lease-up and disposition of a 200,000 square foot retail shopping center located in Watauga, Texas.
- Build-to-suit development of the Texas corporate campus for a public telecommunications and technology company on behalf of a public real estate company.
- Zoning and development of numerous multifamily projects located in the central Texas area on behalf of a foreign real estate development company ranging from $8,000,000 to $17,000,000 in value.
- Restructuring of a 440-acre mixed-use Planned Development located in Houston, Texas on behalf of the developer.
- Restructuring of a 480-acre mixed-use Planned Development located in Pinellas Park, Florida on behalf of the developer.
Recent Finance Transactions
- Closed over 250 mortgage loans on behalf of 12 different banks and institutional lenders, each ranging from $1,000,000 to $55,000,000 in principal amount - including permanent, interim, conduit, construction, mezzanine and leasehold financing secured by retail, office, multifamily, industrial and hotel projects located in 12 states.
- Acted as local Texas counsel in connection with over 150 multi-state mortgage loan transactions on behalf of 6 different institutional lenders.
- Financing of a $185,000,000 sale-leaseback portfolio with 42 properties.
- Construction financing of a 250,000 square foot build-to-suit facility for a Fortune Global 50 company and the related acquisition financing of 550,000 square feet of R&D facility space.
Recent Leasing Transactions
- Representation of an international restaurant company in connection with the leasing and development of over 50 restaurant sites under the trade names T.G.I. Friday's, Star Canyon, Fish Bowl, Samba Room, Taqueria Canonita, Timpano, Front Row, Mignon and other national trade names.
- Structuring and negotiation on behalf of the sublessor of 2 major airport terminal and hangar subleases at Dallas Love Field in connection with a start-up airline.
- Representation of an international food service and hospitality management company in connection with the concession subleases at multiple professional sports venues in the United States.
Recent Workout and Restructuring Transactions
- Workout and restructuring of a $190,000,000 credit facility secured by office projects located in 4 states on behalf of a syndicate of institutional lenders and international investors.
- Restructuring of a $67,000,000 debt portfolio on behalf of a major pension fund advisor.
- Workout of a $75,000,000 loan secured by a premiere office building located in downtown Dallas, Texas.
- Restructuring of a $48,000,000 debt portfolio secured by Texas retail projects on behalf of a regional real estate company.
- Representation of a private REIT as the landlord in connection with the restructuring of a 200,000 square foot office lease in downtown Dallas, Texas.