Michael Karson is a trial lawyer and a member of Winstead’s Business Litigation Practice Group. Mike focuses his practice on technology litigation and intellectual property matters, including patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret misappropriation cases involving a broad and diverse set of technologies. These technologies include accelerated erasure coding for data storage in distributed computing systems, 3G and 4G cellular communications and equipment; mobile device management for wireless devices; wireless smart electricity metering; industrial cooling equipment; and data communications, including optical network communications, blood cholesterol strips, and piston coatings for use in internal combustion engines, among others.
Mike is experienced in complex and multidistrict litigation matters. He was an integral member of the team that handled a large patent multidistrict litigation case involving smart electricity meters. He has been part of numerous trial teams, including the team that obtained a large jury verdict in a case in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas involving virtual reality technology and intellectual property.
Mike has litigation experience for both patent owners and alleged infringers. He has helped monetize patent portfolios against entire industries and protected intellectual property rights in the United States International Trade Commission. He has also successfully defended clients against allegations of patent infringement in large patent cases, including at trial and afterwards.
In addition to his trial experience, Mike has also prepared cases for favorable resolution before trial and has extensive experience in all phases of pre-trial litigation, including pre-suit investigations, fact and expert discovery, motion practice, and final pretrial preparations. He has argued at Markman hearings and questioned both friendly and hostile witnesses at trial.
- Represented a video game maker in obtaining a large jury verdict in a copyright, trademark, and breach of contract case involving virtual reality technology.
- Represented a smartphone maker obtaining judgment as a matter of law of non-infringement in patent litigation involving mobile device management.
- Represented the owner of certain smart electricity metering patents in multidistrict patent litigation; cases resolved shortly before the first trial.
- Represented a manufacturer of industrial cooling equipment in patent litigation against an industry competitor.
- Represented an auto manufacturer in patent litigation involving solid film lubricants and engine piston coatings; the court ruled favorably on the vast majority of claim construction issues.
- Represented a bakery equipment manufacturer in patent litigation relating to equipment for processing bread dough.
- Represented commercial real estate companies in patent litigation relating to online geographic searching.
- Represented an entertainment firm in obtaining mandatory preliminary injunction and defeating motions to stay the injunction in a contract dispute regarding distribution of motion pictures; case settled.
- Represented a leading document imaging manufacturer in patent litigation relating to Ethernet technology; case settled.
- Defended a smartphone maker and achieved a favorable settlement in connection with a Section 337 Investigation before the International Trade Commission relating to authentication systems in mobile devices.