Private Equity Funds
Winstead regularly counsels private equity sponsors in connection with the structuring, formation, management, marketing and regulatory compliance of U.S. and non-U.S. private investment funds and related vehicles, as well as the operational, legal and regulatory issues faced by the sponsors themselves. Additionally, Winstead advises private equity clients on a wide range of corporate matters, including manager formation and structuring, compensation arrangements, limited partner transfers, service provider agreements, and fund and firm liquidations. We understand the needs of fund sponsors and are able to anticipate the requirements of sophisticated institutional and individual investors.
Winstead takes a multidisciplinary approach to client service: our Investment Management & Private Funds Practice draws on members of Winstead’s transactional, tax, real estate, bankruptcy, ERISA, employment and banking practices to provide clients with comprehensive and efficient legal solutions. We always seek to understand our client’s businesses, operations and objectives at the outset of any engagement and believe that this knowledge is essential to successful representation.
Our attorneys help our private equity sponsors become more streamlined and efficient. We assist with structuring and tax issues, employment and ERISA concerns, compliance and regulatory matters, as well as purchases, operations, add-on acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio companies and other fund-related legal issues.
Private Equity Fund Snapshot of Strengths
- Fund Formation: Structuring, tax planning, marketing, investor negotiations and regulatory compliance.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Acquisitions, operations, add-on acquisitions and roll-ups and dispositions and liquidations of portfolio companies, including negotiations with key portfolio company personnel and management teams.
- Operations: Day-to-day fund management and operations, regulatory compliance, tax, ERISA, intellectual property and commercial contracts with service providers.
Additional experience includes:
- Formation of parallel and feeder fund arrangements
- Co-investment arrangements
- Seed and strategic investor arrangements
- Investor due diligence and scrutiny
- Compliance with Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and Investment Company Act of 1940
- Internal sponsor management compensation and key personnel arrangements
- Succession planning