Courtney Mitchell is a member of Winstead's Corporate, Securities/Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group and the firm’s Investment Management & Private Funds Industry Group.
Courtney represents fund sponsors across a wide variety of strategies in connection with the structuring, formation, management, marketing and regulatory compliance of U.S. and non-U.S. private investment funds and related vehicles, as well as the operational, legal and regulatory issues faced by the sponsors themselves. Courtney counsels fund sponsors on a wide range of corporate matters, including compensation, succession planning, limited partner transfers and liquidations.
Courtney advises investors in reviewing and negotiating fund terms and rights relating to proposed amendments, and represents buyers and sellers in secondary transfers of investment fund interests.
- Formation of $65 million technology-focused hedge fund, including U.S. and non-U.S. investment vehicles.
- Formation of $1.1 billion private equity fund, including non-U.S. investment vehicle, to invest in senior debt instruments.
- Formation of $6 million private equity fund to invest in oil and gas royalties and overriding royalties.
- Formation of single-purpose investment fund to acquire portfolio of mezzanine and junior debt instruments.
- Representation of emerging activist hedge fund manager in formation of U.S. investment fund and parallel co-investment vehicle to invest in publicly traded small cap companies.
- Representation of multifamily real estate developer in formation of geographically-focused private investment fund to acquire and develop multifamily real estate properties.
- Representation of activist fund sponsor in organization of separately managed account vehicle for investment by public retirement fund.
- Representation of global private equity firm in connection with acquisition of Texas-based investment manager of credit funds.
- Representation of multibillion dollar pension plan manager in connection with its investment in private equity and hedge funds, and manager’s comprehensive internal restructuring of private investment fund holdings.
- Representation of institutional investor in secondary market purchase of portfolio of limited partnership interests.
- Representation of numerous investment advisers in Advisers Act registration and compliance.